Week 1
12-19.02.2017
Denise's to-do list:
- Join the community
- Introduce myself
- Take part in the webinar
- Review the course site, Active tracker
- Create a learning blog
- Join the PBL Group 1 community
- Read and reflect on the materials under week 1
- Join a Group 1 discussion scheduled for Wednesday, 15.2 or Thursday, 16.2
- Reflect on the week
15.2.2017 This learning journey began for me a few weeks ago when a work-mate sent a general email inviting others to join a community where one could explore ideas and create pathways for students, using technology. At first I was hesitant to join such a group because of my overall lack of ability when using digital services. But because of the encouragement received, I decided to try. After all, what is the worst thing that can happen....it isn't likely my arms will drop of if I can't manage...so here I am trying to create my first blog and keep up with this group of people who clearly have their act together. For example, when I read the different introductions and the first blog posts of others a my jaw literally dropped open and I asked myself, what on earth have you gotten yourself into this time Denise? So for me this course will represent many "first's". First blog, first online course, first collaboration with others using online services, first attempt to chat using Adobe connect...lets see how that one goes :) ?
========================================================================
16.2.2017 Yesterday our group had their first meeting where we introduced ourselves and began planning our group work. Yupeee, I managed the Adobe connect though next time I think I should have a headset, everyone else did so probably...anyway really nice people so big relief. Lars is the facilitator and seems to really have all the bases covered when it comes to being a facilitator. He seemed to always be one step ahead of us like a caretaker gently guiding his sheep. Some of us tried to stray off the path but he helped us again and again. What a patient man! I cannot think of a better co-facilitator than Beata. She was so kind and considerate during the meeting and I feel that I could approach her with just about anything and she would help me.
We have 8 members and two facilitators in our teem. I feel lucky that so many of the team already have experience in the area of online learning/teaching. I picture myself as a little sponge, soaking up every drop of wisdom. I only hope I can keep up with these Ivy leagues ;)
I thought also to write my goals here. So right now I hope to gain some insight on how I can help my students learn long distance. For me it is not just about learning digital competencies but I really want to learn the best approach so that the students will really enjoy their learning journey and dive into the content each week. I want their learning to inspire them, challenge them and still be fun. This can be especially challenging because I have around 40 students. half the group are degree students and the other half study in our open university program. My students come from all over the world. From Finland, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Nigeria, Kenya, Afghanistan, Iraq, China, Thailand, Spain and the list goes on. On top of that many of my students have been nurses or doctors in their home country while others are just out of high school. Then there is the fact that the tertiary education seems to widely vary in the student group so the first-year experience must accommodate so many different levels. Then there is group bonding. Some students have never been identified as a foreigner nor have they worked in such a diverse group before. I know growing up and in my early adult years I would have never believed I would be indeed an immigrant! In a way, having a teacher who is a foreigner who has "made the jump" by leaning the language and practiced nursing in Finland and who has positive things to say about the process perhaps helps them through the hard knocks they are sure to experience. Too, they know I am always here for them, care for them and want to help them in their new lives in any way I can. It is amazing what we can accomplish together when we just care for one another ;) Then there is the fact that nursing is very hands-on. We train our skills using one another. So these acts of caring are never routine and indeed take on new dimensions when teaching in a diverse group like this. My worry is that as I move into more and more online teaching these hidden needs of students will not be met or then met poorly. I can teach people how to do things but how do I teach them to care about others who are different than they are? How do I prepare them so that they are able to cope during their clinical internships while working with others who do not take into consideration the cultural differences of colleagues. Little by little....lets see....
========================================================================
No comments:
Post a Comment